Growing up, we loved breakfast potatoes. They’re soft but crispy and delicious. I can’t get enough of these ones.
The trick? Microwave the potatoes first! This saves you at least 30 minutes of baking time and comes in handy when it’s hot and you don’t want to have the stove on. It’s a win-win in my eyes! Feel free to bake the potatoes if you’d prefer, but this way is much quicker. Either way, you need to start with cooked potatoes. Otherwise, you’ll end up with gross breakfast potatoes that aren’t fully cooked through (I think we’ve all had these at restaurants) – trust me, this is the way to go.
Want to see these potatoes as a brunch-item? Check out this YouTube video!
Easy Breakfast Potatoes
- 8 medium sized white potatoes
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1/2 tsp salt (plus more, to taste)
- 2 tsp onion flakes (I get mine from Bulk Barn!)
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- Pepper to taste
- Wash all the potatoes, and then poke each potato with a fork (12-15 times – see the YouTube video for a visual example).
- Place the potatoes on a microwave safe plate and microwave for 15 minutes (in 5 minute intervals, flipping in between).
- Set the potatoes aside until you’re ready to cook – you can do steps 1-2 the night before to make brunch way easier!
- Cut each potato into small chunks.
- Add 1 tbsp of coconut oil (or any cooking oil) to a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add in the potatoes and the spices, and let the potatoes cook for 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally to make sure nothing sticks.
- Serve immediately with tofu scramble and avocado toast!