Guys, I started a YouTube channel! You can find the video for this sushi recipe on my channel. I’d definitely recommend watching it if you’ve never made sushi before! You can click the photo below to watch the video.
I’ve been making sushi once every few weeks for the last few months and it is such a delicious dinner (and we always make leftovers for lunch the next day!) The combination of teriyaki jackfruit, spicy mayo, crunchy cucumber and smooth avocado makes for the most delicious sushi – I can’t wait for you to try it!
Teriyaki Jackfruit Sushi
- 6 servings of sticky rice (I buy this one and use 1 1/2 cups of rice and 2 cups of water)
- 1 565g can of Jackfruit* (in water or brine – I buy this one)
- 1 tbsp oil (I use vegetable or coconut)
- 3 tbsp soy sauce or liquid aminos
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 2 tbsp vegan mayo (I love this one)
- hot sauce to taste (I use 1-2 tsp of Frank’s)
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 1/2 cucumber, sliced
- 10 sheets of nori
- Cook the sushi rice according to package directions.
- While the rice is cooking, drain and rinse the jackfruit. Shred with your fingers into small pieces. Discard any seeds.
- Heat 1 tbsp of oil in a nonstick pan on medium to medium-high heat. When the oil is hot, add in the shredded jackfruit. Let the jackfruit brown – this takes between 5 and 10 minutes.
- While the jackfruit browns, slice the cucumber and avocado into skinny sices.
- Mix vegan mayo with hot sauce to taste.
- Add soy sauce (or liquid aminos), maple syrup, garlic powder and onion powder to the jackfruit. Reduce the heat and let it cook for another 5 minutes.
- Place all of your sushi ingredients on your counter and fill a small bowl with cold water.
- Place the nori with the rough side up, add approx. 1/3 cup of rice to the nori and spread it on the bottom two thirds of the nori (see video for assistance). You can use wet hands or a wet spatula to help spread the rice.
- Add your sushi filling. Wet the top inch of nori with your fingers- this helps the nori seal when you roll it.
- Begin rolling the nori like a burrito! If you’ve never made sushi before, watching the youtube video above will definitely help!
- Repeat until all 10 of the nori sheets are rolled into sushi.
- Run a very sharp, serrated knife under cold water and cut your sushi into 7-8 pieces.
- Serve with soy sauce (I love this one), wasabi, ginger or whatever your heart desires!
- Eat immediately, or enjoy as leftovers the following day!
*We do our groceries at the Superstore and the Jackfruit can be found in the International section, right next to the coconut milk! It’s very affordable – and usually costs around $3 per can.