This is probably the easiest recipe that I have ever created, but it tastes so decadent and would be perfect for Holiday gifts, dessert tables, or even as an element of a charcuterie board (yum!)
All you need is some candy canes, pretzels and vegan chocolate. Simple enough, right? I used Wholesome candy canes (and you can find them at Bulk Barn!) but most candy canes are accidentally vegan – just double check the ingredients before you buy them. I used Enjoy Life mini vegan chocolate chips (just because I always have them on-hand) but you can use any vegan chocolate that you like – the President’s Choice semi-sweet chocolate chips are vegan (for all my Canadians out there) so that is another awesome option! If you’re using vegan chocolate in a bar-form, just chop it up so it’s about the size of chocolate chips before you melt it.
Yesterday’s Holiday Recipe: Vegan Crab Dip!
Candy Cane & Pretzel Bark
This decadent chocolate bark is the perfect mix of holiday flavours, sweet & salty - plus, it's super easy, requires only three ingredients and would make beautiful holiday gifts for anyone!
- Grind or blend your candy canes into a granulated texture (almost like sugar) – you can use a mortar and pestle or just throw them into a blender. Set aside.
- Grind or blend your pretzels into small pieces (I like my chunks to be about the size of the mini chocolate chips). Again, you can use a blender or a mortar and pestle. Set aside.
- Melt your chocolate. If you’re feeling lazy, or are in a rush – you can melt the chocolate in a glass bowl in the microwave using 30 second intervals on regular heat (just take the chocolate out, stir and make sure you don’t over-melt it). If there are no chunks left after you stir, then it’s good to go! You can also use a double boiler (that’s what I always do) by adding some water to a medium-sized pot (you only need to fill it up to about 1.5 inches in the pot). Bring the water to a boil and place a glass bowl inside the pot (it shouldn’t be touching the water). Add your chocolate chips into the glass bowl and let the steam of the boiling water melt the chocolate through the glass bowl. Stir constantly.
- Transfer the chocolate to a mixing bowl. Add your candy canes and pretzel pieces into the bowl. Stir until it’s equally combined, and transfer to a parchment-lined baking tray. Spread your chocolate until it’s approximately 1/4 inch thick (or your desired bark thickness).
- Let the chocolate sit in the fridge for 20-30 minutes, or until it has completely hardened. Cut with a sharp knife and enjoy! Store in an airtight container in the fridge or a dark, cool place in your kitchen.