Before going vegan, I loved creamy alfredo pasta; it was almost always the dish I would order at restaurants. But, I would always feel terrible afterwards. The abundance of dairy made me feel sluggish and tired, and this vegan version completely solves that problem! Also – please note that I am not a authentically trained Italian chef – this is just my version of an easy, vegan alfredo.
If you try this mushroom alfredo, post a photo on Instagram and tag me @thatcanadianvegan. I absolutely love seeing and sharing your creations!
This Mushroom Alfredo is quick, delicious and healthy. The sauce is made up of the vegan holy trinity: soaked cashews, nutritional yeast and plant milk. Combined with sautéed mushrooms, onion and garlic – this is a crowd-pleaser for pasta lovers and an easy weeknight dinner!
- 4 servings of spaghettini pasta (or any pasta you like – I love this one)
- 1 tbsp coconut oil (or use 1-2 tbsp water, if oil-free)
- 1.5 cups of chopped mushrooms (I use oyster mushrooms and they are incredible, but if you can’t find them – cremini mushrooms will be delicious too!)
- ½ medium yellow onion, diced
- 2-3 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ cup raw cashews (soaked in hot water for 20 minutes, rinsed & drained)
- 1 cup cashew milk (or any non-dairy milk)
- 3 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- ¼ tsp salt (plus more, to taste)
- 1/8 tsp pepper (plus more, to taste)
- 2 tbsp green onion (for garnish)
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add in 4 servings of pasta. Cook according to package directions. Be careful to not over-cook!
- In a small pot, melt 1 tbsp of coconut oil over medium heat. Add in ½ diced yellow onion and 1.5 cups of chopped oyster mushrooms. Stir, and let sauté for 5-10 minutes. Lower the heat to medium-low and add in 2-3 minced garlic cloves. Stir, and let sauté for another 2-3 minutes.
- Drain the noodles when they’re done (don’t rinse – it will help the sauce stick to the pasta). Pour the noodles back into the pot they were cooked in.
- In a high-speed blender (I use a nutri-bullet), blend ½ cup soaked cashews, 1 cup of cashew milk, 3 tbsp nutritional yeast, 2 tsp lemon juice, ¼ tsp salt and 1/8 tsp pepper together until it’s smooth.
- Add the sauce into the pan with the sautéed veggies, and then add in your drained noodles. Stir until the noodles are coated in the sauce, and then garnish with green onion. Serve immediately and enjoy!