A few weeks ago, I realized it was finally autumn in British Columbia. The trees are starting to change colour, the air is cool, the rain has been consistent and the smell of pumpkin spice has me feeling all the feels. While we were out grocery shopping last week, I picked up my first (of many!) cans of 100% pumpkin. It sat in my pantry for a few days until the idea of pumpkin spiced energy balls popped into my head. I figured I could replace any oils/nut butters with the pumpkin and that it would act as a binder, and then I could pack in as much flavour (and healthy ingredients) as possible. So, I did, and now I have a delicious snack waiting for me in the fridge filled with healthy plant protein and flavour! I’m working on a few autumn drink recipes to use up the remainder of the pumpkin and will update this blog when I’ve completed them!
Pumpkin Spiced Energy Balls
These energy balls are packed with 100% pumpkin, pumpkin pie spice and a whole lot of plant-goodness!
Credit: Cindi @ http://www.thatcanadianvegan.com
- ½ cup 100% pure pumpkin (canned)
- 1 cup quick oats
- 1 ½ tsp pumpkin pie spice (store-bought or premade)
- ¼ cup walnuts
- ¼ cup hemp seeds
- 1 tbsp pumpkin seeds
- 1 tbsp flax seed
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tbsp brown sugar or 2 tbsp maple syrup or 4-6 dates
- pinch salt
- Add all the dry ingredients (everything except for the pumpkin and maple syrup if you’re using it) to a food processor and pulse until everything is well combined. I prefer my oats still relatively whole and my nuts/seeds broken down – so I just pulse a few times. You could do this in a blender too, just be careful not to over-blend.
- Transfer the dry ingredients to a large mixing bowl and add in ½ cup of pumpkin. Mix until it is well combined and there are no dry pockets.
- Taste the mix and adjust seasoning as needed. You may want to add more pumpkin pie spice or cinnamon or more sugar/maple syrup.
- Using your hands, take approx. 1 tbsp of the mixture and roll into balls. Transfer into an air-tight container and keep in the fridge for up to a week. Enjoy!