Gnocchi is one of my new-found loves. Growing up, we never had gnocchi. I had never even heard of it until my husband (way before we were married) started buying it at the grocery store. Now, I’m obsessed with it for quick and easy meals! We buy this brand of pre-made gnocchi (because who has time to hand make it?) and it is accidentally vegan (it doesn’t say it’s vegan, but the ingredients are all safe for vegans!)
This is one of my husband’s favourite meals! You can really add any of your favourite veggies into it, but my favourites are mushrooms, onions and bell peppers. Asparagus is super good added in, too! Plus, you can really amp the flavour up by using a garlic infused olive oil (like this one)! This gnocchi recipe is easy, flavourful and so filling!
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 20 minutes
Serves: 2 main servings or 4 side servings
1 700g bag of Gnocchi (make sure it’s vegan – look for eggs or milk ingredients)
1 tbsp of garlic infused olive oil (or regular olive oil with 2 cloves of garlic, minced)
1 red bell pepper
4-6 cremini mushrooms
1/3 of a medium white onion
1 cup of fresh spinach (packed)
2 tbsp of green onion or chives
Salt and pepper to taste
Vegan cheese (this is optional, but we like Earth Island Parmesan cheese)
1. Start by prepping your veggies. Slice 1 red bell pepper, 4-6 cremini mushrooms and 1/3 of a white onion. Chop 1 cup of spinach. Dice 2 tbsp of green onion or chives. Set aside.
2. Heat a nonstick pan on medium heat, then add 1 tbsp of garlic infused olive oil (or regular olive oil).
3. When the pan and oil are heated, add in the sliced mushrooms, onion and bell pepper. Season with salt and pepper (approximately 1/4 tsp of each, or to taste). If you aren’t using garlic infused oil, add in 2 minced garlic cloves as well.
4. Cover the pan and let the veggies cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
5. After 10 minutes has passed, add in the bag of gnocchi, a pinch of salt and cover again. Stir occasionally and let it cook for another 10 minutes.
6. When the gnocchi and veggies are cooked, add 1 cup of chopped spinach to the pan, stir and let it cook for 2 more minutes.
6. Add to serving bowls, garnish with chives or green onion (and vegan cheese, if you like!) and serve immediately! It reheats nicely the next day if you have leftovers.
If you decide to try this recipe, post a photo on Instagram and tag me so I can see your creations @thatcanadianvegan. Enjoy!