A few weeks ago, one of my friends posted a picture of a Big Mac Poutine on Instagram that they ordered at a restaurant. As soon as I saw the picture, I knew I had to replicate it for myself!
This recipe is so simple, especially if you use frozen fries. I usually make my own fries because I like knowing that I’m using simple ingredients, but if you prefer frozen fries – that is completely fine (and you’ll probably cut the cooking time in half!)
This poutine is salty and savoury, and most importantly – completely vegan!
Cooking time: 1 hour (or less, if using frozen fries)
6 large russet potatoes
2 tbsp of vegetable oil
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
½ tsp seasoning salt (or regular salt)
½ tsp pepper
1 bag of Gardein beefless ground (or any other ground meat substitute)
4 dill pickles
1/3 cup white onion
1 cup shredded lettuce
¾ cup vegan shredded cheese
1 cup vegan mayo
½ cup sweet relish
½ cup ketchup
*If you’re using frozen fries, cook them according to the package directions and skip to step 5*
1. Preheat your oven to 450°F and line a baking tray with parchment paper or a high quality silicone baking mat.
2. Peel 6 russet potatoes and cut them into skinny shoestring fries (approximately 1 cm thick – the smaller they are, the crispier they get and faster they cook!
3. Add your sliced potatoes into a large bowl and add in 1.5 tbsp of vegetable oil and the seasonings. Mix well and place onto your baking tray (use more than one if necessary, try to allow for some space between the fries. This helps them get crispy!)
4. Place the fries into the oven for 30-40 minutes, flipping halfway.
5. After you flip the fries, heat ½ tbsp of vegetable oil (add more if necessary – depending on the quality of your pan) in a non-stick pan over medium heat and add the Gardein beefless ground. Stir occasionally and cook for approximately 10 minutes.
6. While the Gardein beefless ground is cooking, dice up 4 dill pickles, 1/3 cup of white onion and 1 cup of shredded lettuce. Set aside.
7. Mix 1 cup of vegan mayo with ½ cup of sweet relish and ½ cup of ketchup in a bowl. Set aside.
8. When the fries are done cooking, take them out of the oven and divide them onto 4 plates. Add a scoop of beefless ground, then top with the dill pickles, white onion, shredded lettuce and cheese. Drizzle the “Big Mac” sauce on top and serve immediately.
If you decide to try this recipe, post a photo on Instagram and tag me so I can see your creations @thatcanadianvegan. Enjoy!