With spring here, we’ve all started planning summer trips and family BBQ’s. This pasta salad is perfect for vegans and non-vegans alike and is the perfect dish to bring to a family gathering! It’s easy to prepare in advance and is full of fresh veggies and delicious herbs.
Time: 30 minutes
Servings: 8-10 – perfect for a gathering!
1 1/2 cups of noodles (measured dry – I like these pretty bowtie noodles, but you could use any!)
1 red bell pepper
1 celery stalk
4 sprigs of baby dill (approximately 1 tbsp fresh or tsp dried)
4 sprigs of Italian parsley (approximately 1/2 tbsp fresh or 1/4 tsp dried)
1/2 cup raw cashews (soaked in hot water for at least 1 hour, or in room temperature water overnight)
1/4 cup cashew milk (or any unsweetened original plant milk)
Salt, pepper and paprika to taste
1. Cook your noodles according to package directions.
2. While your noodles cook, dice up your cucumber, bell pepper and celery, and shred your carrot. Finely chop your fresh herbs if you have them (I would highly recommend the fresh herbs instead of dry – they make the salad even more delicious and fresh!)
3. Add 1/2 cup raw cashews (soaked, rinsed and drained) to a high-speed blender with 1/4 cup of your favourite unsweetened plant milk, the juice of 1/4 of a lemon and himalayan salt (depending on how salty you like your macaroni salad. I use 1/2 tsp.) Blend until the cashews are very, very smooth – it will begin to look like mayonaise.
4. Rinse and drain your noodles in cold water. Add to a mixing bowl with your fresh veggies, herbs and homemade cream sauce. Mix well and add paprika and pepper to taste.
5. I would recommend sitting in the fridge overnight – so it’s best to prepare the night before a BBQ or family gathering.
If you decide to try this recipe, post a photo on Instagram and tag me so I can see your creations @thatcanadianvegan. Enjoy!