With spring here, we’ve all started planning summer trips and family BBQ’s. This pasta salad is perfect for vegans and non-vegans alike and is the perfect dish to bring to a family gathering! It’s easy to prepare in advance and is full of fresh veggies and delicious herbs. If you decide to try this recipe, post a photo on Instagram and tag me so I can see your creations @thatcanadianvegan. Enjoy!
Vegan Pasta Salad
This pasta salad is the perfect side dish for any time of year. If you use tri-coloured pasta, it would be an incredible dish to bring to Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner. It’s packed with delicious, healthy plants and completely oil (and junk) free!
- 1 1/2 cups of noodles (measured dry – I like these pretty bowtie noodles, but you could use any!)
- 1/2 cucumber
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 carrot
- 1 celery stalk
- 4 sprigs of baby dill (approximately 1 tbsp fresh or tsp dried)
- 4 sprigs of Italian parsley (approximately 1/2 tbsp fresh or 1/4 tsp dried)
- 1/2 cup raw cashews (soaked in hot water for 20 minutes)
- 1/4 cup cashew milk (or any unsweetened original plant milk)
- 1/4 lemon
- Salt, pepper and paprika to taste
- Cook your noodles according to package directions.
- While your noodles cook, dice up your cucumber, bell pepper and celery, and shred your carrot. Finely chop your fresh herbs if you have them (I would highly recommend the fresh herbs instead of dry – they make the pasta even more delicious and fresh!)
- Add 1/2 cup raw cashews (soaked, rinsed and drained) to a high-speed blender with 1/4 cup of your favourite unsweetened plant milk, the juice of 1/4 of a lemon and pink Himalayan salt (depending on how salty you like your macaroni salad. I use 1/2 tsp.) Blend until the cashews are very, very smooth. If you’re running very low on time or don’t have cashews on hand, you can definitely swap the cashew cream for vegan mayo. I like Hellman’s or Earth Island. It may not be as healthy, but it will still be packed with flavour!
- Rinse and drain your noodles in cold water. Add to a mixing bowl with your fresh veggies, herbs and homemade cashew cream. Mix well and add paprika and pepper to taste.
- Serve chilled!